Thursday, 14 July 2011

Jungle Storytime

Last week I did a jungle themed storytime.  I find these storytimes one of the easiest to plan, as there are so many books and rhymes out there that can be used.  I chose three simple books for storytime, as the kids coming recently seem to be a bit younger in age.

















The first book I read was Roar by Alison Lester.  Each page starts "I see a ..." and then an states an animal.  Then we have a question and response with the sound the animal makes.  Very good for identifying animals and matching the sounds they make. 





















The second book I read/sang was If You're Happy and You Know it by Jane Cabrera.  The book incorporates jungle animals into the song, so the kids can do some different actions such as flap your arms and roar out loud.  Lots of fun.

















The last book I read was Our Jungle by Rod Campbell.  He always has lovely, clean and simple illustrations, very eye-catching for the storytime audience.  It's great for interaction because the last page repeats the story that was read, using illustrations for the animals, so the kids can look at the picture and read it with you.  Plus the large jungle fold-out page at the end creates a lot of interest.

The craft activity was kept very simple, with a jungle colouring in sheet I had amongst some blackline masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment